This is my chosen forum for testing other's recipes and sharing my own recipes developed over the years. Most of the recipes are cheap, easy and fast, which is perfect for us working folk on a budget. Food doesn't have to be expensive to be wonderful! Enjoy the deliciousness!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

And They Called It Pumpkin Loooove...

Welcome to the first posting on my home-cookin' foodie blog! This week, I was blessed to receive a huge amount of zucchini and carrots in a produce basket. Being that I am not a big veggie eater, nor is anyone else in my  home, I had to figure out a way for these veggies not to go to waste. My solution was to go on a baking spree and cook the veggies into delicious breakfast breads/loaves. Behold, faithful reader, my delicious Pumpkin Zucchini Bread:


PUMPKIN ZUCCHINI BREAD

3 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup shredded zucchini
1 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
11.5 oz pkg of milk chocolate chips

In a mixing bowl, combine eggs and sugar. Add pumpkin, zucchini, butter and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to pumpkin mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in bread comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove to a wire rack.
 
Word to the wise: Definitely wait at least 10 minutes before trying to remove the breads from the pans. I got impatient and as a result, these moist, wonderful breads started to fall apart. I was able to save one intact but the other one separated into about four chunks. So maybe it isn't suitable for serving to company but, on the other hand, all the calories leaked out when it broke!

No comments:

Post a Comment