CARROT PECAN CAKE
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
2 cups white sugar
1 tbl vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tsp grated orange peel
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 cups finely grated carrots
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
2. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, white sugar and vanilla. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, orange peel and cinnamon. Stir in carrots. Fold in pecans. Pour into prepared pan.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely. You can also leave the cake in the pan, if you choose. Frost when completely cool.
DARK CHOCOLATE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
4 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
3-4 cups confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons milk
1. Have all ingredients at room temperature. Melt the chocolate in the microwave oven.
2. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Pour melted chocolate into cream cheese and mix on medium speed until well blended. Add vanilla, milk and salt. Slowly mix in the confectioners sugar, checking the sweetness of the frosting periodically.
3. Frost fully cooled cake and store in the refrigerator, so the cream cheese does not spoil.