This is my chosen forum for testing other's recipes and sharing my own recipes developed over the years. Most of the recipes are cheap, easy and fast, which is perfect for us working folk on a budget. Food doesn't have to be expensive to be wonderful! Enjoy the deliciousness!

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

March Madness...PFFT!!!

Forget March Madness. In this home, it was Mango Madness today. I had 10 mangoes staring me in the face today (at least I think they were...everytime I tried to catch them looking in my direction, they looked the other way!) and I decided my hand at making jam. Aside from horrible mess left in my kitchen after I was done, this was a great experience. The jam is amazing and will taste wonderful on toast or heated up and served over icecream. Nice bonus: cooking this made my home smell lovely!

SPICED MANGO JAM 


5 ripe mangoes
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsps pumpkin pie spice
3/4 cup water

1. Peel, seed and chop the mangoes. Microwave the mangoes until soft, about two cycles of 1 minute each. Use a fork or potato masher to mash the mango into pulp.

2.  Place the sugars, spice and water in a large saucepan over low heat, stir mixture, and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. When mixture begins boiling, increase heat to medium-high. Continue boiling until fine, soft threads form, 270 degrees F (135 degrees C). Stir in the mango pulp and boil until the mixture thickens, about 10-15 minutes.

3.  Pour cooked jam into sterilized jars and seal according to canning directions. Recipe yields 3 pints.

No comments:

Post a Comment